REBUILD is a project in the framework of the Nicosia Initiative, a decentralized cooperation platform active since 2015 between Libyan and European local authorities. It aims at strengthening local public services in Libya through a permanent training mechanism delivered by Libyan universities to Libyan municipalities.
The main objectives of this project are:
- support the decentralization process in Libya and to improve the living conditions of the people in Libya;
- contribute to the development of qualitative local public services in Libya;
- strengthen the capacities of Libyan municipalities to design, implement and assess equitable, sustainable, inclusive and resilient local public policies;
- improve the capacities of Libyan municipalities to design, implement and assess equitable, sustainable, inclusive and resilient local public policies
- setting and testing a sustainable learning framework on local development and local governance.
Pilot Activity: Fishery
The Fishery pilot project is the follow-up of PATH-DEV, a project managed in 2017-2019 by The Friuli Venezia Giulia Autonomous Region and five Libyan coastal municipalities (co-applicants in PathDEV) in the framework of the Nicosia Initiative, funded by the Italian Ministry of Interior. The management of the pilot project is led by the Friuli Venezia Giulia Autonomous Region, with the technical support of the Italian National Institute of Oceanography and Applied Geophysics (OGS) acting as technical assistance partner to the Friuli Venezia Giulia Autonomous Region.
The three main pillars of the pilot activity on fishery are:
- Supporting the definition of traceability and certification paths in the fishery sector according to the current EU legislation (storage, refrigeration and management processes)
- Strengthening local training institutions and promoting training courses aiming at enabling young Libyan fishermen to reach the adequate skills required to improve their abilities to contribute to local development in the field of fisheries
- Pilot test in one of the five municipalities (previously identified) for infrastructure compliance with EU regulations for conservation, refrigeration, commercialisation, and preparation for delivery to customers.
01.03.2021 - 01.03.2025
REBUILD (Research and Education Building Urban Institutions for Local Development) is a project financed by the European Union through the call for proposals “EuropeAid/ 167744/ DH/ ACT/ Multi-4 Local Authorities: "Call for Proposals 2020 Local Authorities: Partnerships for Sustainable Cities"